Friday, December 30, 2011

Sally Hansen Gem Crush Glitz Gal


This is possibly one of the prettiest polishes I have applied to my nails. I found this on a display rack at a drug store a few weeks back. Thinking it looked perfect for New Year's Eve, I gave it a spin. It is absolutely stunning and looks even better in person. It is a thick, dark-gray jelly packed full of silver micro gltter with larger multi-colored holographic glitter specks that change color and sparkle every time you move.

What is not to love about this polish? The brush was absolutely perfect. It is a wider brush, and it works really well for quick, even application. The formula is fantastic. Two coats would have been more than sufficient, but being safe, I went with three coats. Three coats may have been overkill. This polish covers quick and applies evenly and easily. Drying was fast, as seems to be the case with most glitters. For a smooth finish, a couple coats of top coat may be necessary. I only used one coat, and it left my nails textured. I am okay with that, but if smooth is what you want, you may want to add another layer of top coat. The only thing I think I would change is the shape of the bottle itself. The bottle seems a little top heavy, and I was a bit afraid of accidentally knocking it over. Thank goodness that did not happen.

I really suggest this polish. I have picked up the Gem Crush in red as well. I am going to have to collect a few more colors.

Remover used: Glycerin/acetone mix.
Nail prep: Rubbing alcohol.
Base coat: Don't laugh (well, okay, go ahead and laugh), but I accidentally applied China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat as a base coat. I had grabbed the wrong bottle. It will be interesting to see how this performs as a base coat.
Color: Sally Hansen Gem Crush Glitz Gal, three coats in total.
Top coat: Seche Vite.
Wear report: TBA. Update: I will have to try this one again. I made a mistake of putting a top coat on as a base coat, and it did not work at all. The polish just practically fell off my nails in whole sheets on day #2.
Removal report: What was left of the polish came off pretty decently but felt like it could have been tough with a regular base coat under it. It is a glitter polish, so glitter polish removal will most likely be needed. I used glycerin/acetone mix.

1 comment:

  1. Hee hee, I just bought this for New Year's Eve, too. I'm putting it on now. Oh and I put a colored dot on my base coat bottle cap and a different color on the top coat cap - just to make life a bit easier. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete